07 February 2011

Dry

I was just thinking about how we're all lonely.

All of us. Some more than others. But, to an extent, we all feel that emptiness, that aloneness, that only goes away when we forget about ourselves. But it always comes back.

When you feel lonely, do you ever sit back and think about how everyone else feels the same way?

I guess that helps a little. It also shows that we are not capable of making each other feel "not lonely." If we were capable of that, we'd all probably be a lot happier.

In my life, I sometimes worship the idol of "relationship." I want to be known, be loved, to be chosen. I want to not feel that emptiness of being alone and separated.

That doesn't work though. Relationship, friendship, marriage, etc. don't close the gap. They feel like they will, but they don't.

The real sadness we feel comes from our disconnect from God. Only God can fully know us and not turn away. The sin and selfishness in our lives is the cause of this divide, and most of our lives are devoted to trying to reconnect in various ways.

I realized something about a week ago that I should have figured out a long time ago. This sounds simple, but I realized that God really wants to be with me. I knew this, at least in the sense that God loves everyone...I'm part of "everyone"...therefore, God loves me. In my conceit, I think I figured that God was only really excited about new people who start following Him. I mean, he already has me. I'm old news.

So, this realization was profound. God wants to be with me, to spend time with me, to show His love to me. These are the same things I secretly wish a romantic relationship would provide.

My loneliness, and yours, can only be defeated through our relationship with the real God. Anything else leaves us dry and thirsty for more.....and it doesn't matter how much sand we put into our mouths, it will never satisfy like water.

1 comment:

Carpe diem. Seize the day. Aprovecha el día.

Go big or go home.