07 May 2010

Origins

My favorite movie is Dead Poets Society, and it will always hold that dear place in my heart. No other movie, no matter how much I enjoy it, will ever speak to me like DPS does.

The central theme of DPS, in my opinion (and I've seen it many times), is the importance of chasing after your dreams, even if there is great risk of failure. Todd Anderson opens up in front of everyone despite his intense fear. Neil pursues acting against his father's will. Charlie "Nuwanda" Dalton accepts a phone call from God during a meeting, saying that girls should be admitted to his school. Knox Overstreet goes into the classroom of the girl he loves and reads her a poem even though she wants nothing to do with him....and he gets the girl in the end. Though lots of costly mistakes are made, these boys learn to live life to the fullest and not be complacent.

And that is how I want to live my life.

In the movie, they talk about the Latin phrase, "Carpe Diem." This means "Seize the Day." Or, in Spanish, "Aprovecha el Día."

I think that I have succeeded in doing this in many ways, but I am definitely not good at it, and it is most certainly not easy to do. Fortunately, my fear of regret is a powerful motivator. Regret is a terrible thing to carry around.


I'm starting this blog for a couple of reasons. One reason is to keep people updated about my adventures this summer in Medellín, Colombia. I'm super-pumped about this trip. Eight weeks in South America, working with the Open Arms Foundation. I know that this will probably be one of the most intense and life-changing things I've ever done, and that God is going to be more real to me there than anywhere else I've been.

At the same time, I dread the trip. It's the same dread that came before I climbed Eagle Cliff. The same dread that comes right before every important basketball game I've played in. The same dread that came last summer everytime I went downtown in Denver to hang out with my homeless friends. The same dread that comes everytime I have to do something that is going to rip me from my comfort zone. But I know that if I don't do it, I will never be happy with myself.

The other reason for starting this is just because I wanted to. From time to time, I have stuff I want to share, and I hope that you might come back and read more of the words I type in the future.

2 comments:

  1. I look forward to reading all those future words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to watch this movie with you before we all leave!

    ReplyDelete

Carpe diem. Seize the day. Aprovecha el día.

Go big or go home.