09 May 2010

You Are Better Than Me

I probably like you. I like most people. And if you are reading this, I probably know you in some capacity, and I can't think of many people I don't like offhand. To go a bit further, I approve of you as a person. You have my respect, whether or not I agree with things you do or believe.

I say this because a lot of us struggle with this kind of thing. If someone doesn't approve of me, thinks I'm stupid or unimportant, or doesn't like me, it can drive me crazy. And for some reason, a lot of people don't like each other. It's terrible.


Here's a true story that happened recently:
I randomly met this guy, and we had a conversation. A really cool conversation about God. I was really encouraged by the stuff we talked about, and learned a few things from his story.
Later that day, I was with some friends who happened to know the guy. I started to talk about the conversation I had had, but was immediately stopped by the sudden realization that these people had such a low opinion of him. I was really surprised because I didn't know I was supposed to dislike the guy.
And the crazy thing is that it's all Christians in the story. The guy, my friends, and me. We're all pulling for the same thing. Why do we not like each other? Although this was a specific instance, this kind of thing happens a lot. Now, I wonder who doesn't like me. Scary.


In Phillipians 2:3-4, Paul says:
"Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others." (emphasis mine)

Consider others better than me? That is not an easy task, but it is so important to do. It also goes against a lot of what we're taught. Very counter-inuitive....like almost everything Jesus ever said.

The first shall be last. To live, you must first die. By losing everything, you are really gaining everything. The foolish will shame the wise. God's power is made stronger in our weakness.

So, if I am smarter than you, you are still more important than I am. If I am better-looking, you are still more important than I am. If I am stronger, have more money, have a more-attractive girlfriend, or am a better musician, you are still better than me.

You are better than me, and I like you.

I think that's what Jesus said when he came to earth to die to save us. He was telling us that we are more important...or at least more important than his life. Even if I am God, you are still more important than me. That is our example to follow.

Let's like each other. Let's consider others better than ourselves. Let's become humble servants. If nothing else, it makes life way more interesting (if everyone is better than us, we can never be in boring company).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Carpe diem. Seize the day. Aprovecha el día.

Go big or go home.