08 June 2010

The Final Countdown

So, I will be leaving my house for the airport 24 hours after writing this. In 27 hours, I will leave Lambert International Airport. In 30 hours, I will be in Miami, making a connecting flight. In 34 hours, I will be in Medellín, Colombia.

I'm feeling a little better about the trip now. The last few days have been really fun and encouraging. Here, I will list some highlights. Lunch with AJ (friend from Mizzou) on Saturday, then driving up to Columbia for Ben and Mazvita's wedding. The wedding was a reunion of sorts, and not only did I get to witness the marriage of two awesome people, but I also got to hang out with a ton of awesome friends and dance like a dancin' fool. Sunday morning, I got to hear a really good message from my home church's associate pastor who used to be a missionary in Mexico. I had lunch with Darren (friend from home). Then, I got to hang out with Stacey and Evan (friends who used to live in Columbia, Missouri), eating Steak 'n' Shake and winning a game of Settlers. Today, I went out to eat with family to celebrate my parents' 36th wedding anniversary. Tonight, I used Skype to talk to some friends in Colorado and at Mizzou.

A lot of the worry and anxiety about the trip has subsided, and now I'm feeling pretty excited about it. My first week and a half there, I will be working with a mission trip group from West Virginia. I'm not sure specifically what I'll being doing during this time, but it will be relatively structured because of the group. Then, after the group leaves on June 21st, things will be a little different.

I read Psalm 63 today. I want to seek God with the passion that David describes in the psalm. I have bolded the truth that lies behind why I want to seek God. In the end, God will uphold us while we cling to Him. Here are the first eight verses of it for your reading pleasure:

"O God, you are my God;
earnestly, I seek you.
my soul thirsts for you,
my body longs for you,
in a dry and weary land
where there is no water.
I have seen you in the sanctuary
and beheld your power and your glory.
Because your love is better than life,
my lips will glorify you.
I will praise you as long as I live,
and in your name I will lift up my hands.
My soul will be satisfied as with the richest of foods;
with singing lips my mouth will praise you.
On my bed, I remember you;
I think of you through the watches of the night.
Because you are my help,
I sing in the shadow of your wings.
My soul clings to you;
your right hand upholds me.

When I write my next post, I will be in South America! Hopefully, with some cool pictures or something. ¡Nos vemos, mis amigos!

2 comments:

  1. That's my favorite Psalm. I'm looking forward to following your adventures. Buen viaje, Justin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah! Good luck! Send me your address so I can send you mail!

    ReplyDelete

Carpe diem. Seize the day. Aprovecha el día.

Go big or go home.