12 June 2010

First day at the farm!

Day 2 was not quite as exciting as Day 1. I hung out at the Perrows' house, played some Fifa (I'm going to have to become a futbol fan....I'm in South America during the World Cup), and read a little bit. I got to hear a few Spanish worship songs a bit later, which was cool. Later in the night, the team from West Virginia came. I was expecting a youth group....because youth groups do mission trips, right? Well, it turns out that it's all older folks with jobs and families and stuff, which will be good. They seem to be pretty strong in their faith and seem like good people.

BUT...today was pretty amazing. In the morning after breakfast, we (the team and some of the staff) gathered outside to go over some rules and such. Then, we had a devotion. It was about prayer....which is something that I'll never completely understand. I know we are supposed to do it, but there are a lot of views on why, what the effect is, etc. We prayed through one of the Psalms, meaning that we would read some verses, pray, and repeat. It was pretty awesome. We talked about how prayer is essential, and not something we just tack on. This is something I need to work on.

Most of the team is staying about a week and a half, but another guy, Paul (or Pablo in Spanish), is staying almost as long as I am. Then, he's going to Chile and traveling the world...or something awesome and crazy like that. Anyway, he's a pretty legit guy, I won't be the only gringo spending the summer here.

Then, we went to the farm. We drove up this crazy-steep hill to get there...I didn't know cars could go over inclines like this. We stopped for a bit to see the view from where we were, and I took a video of it:

When we got to the farm, the first thing I did was roll through cow poop and get it on my hand. Great way to start off.

But the boys were awesome. They were super-friendly and excited to see us gringos. It should be fun to hang out with these kids all summer. We went up to the computer room with all the recently donated computers, and the first thing they did was get on Facebook, haha. One of the kids that added me as a friend posted on my wall "como esta tu relacion con DIOS", which means "How is your relationship with God?" I thought that was cool.

I also found out more about what I'm going to be doing. I'm going to prepare some lesson plans that will both help the kids learn how to do things on the computer (such as using a search engine to find out information) and learn about God. I'll teach the lesson plans, but also keep a record for them so that they can be used in the future. The goal is about 50 lesson plans, so could be taught once a week for a year in the future. I'll also get to help teach English to the boys using the computers. If you know of a good, free, online program for learning English, let me know!

So yeah, I'm excited.

Also, all the famous Colombians on the money have sweet mustaches:


1 comment:

  1. That guy in your van had a pretty legit beard!

    Sounds like your summer will definitely get you some teach experience, Mr. Keating :)

    ReplyDelete

Carpe diem. Seize the day. Aprovecha el día.

Go big or go home.