22 June 2010

Title of Blog Post Goes Here

My posts so far have made it sound like my time here in Colombia has been amazing and without any problems. Part of that is true. It has been amazing, and I haven't had any major problems like getting mugged, getting sick, getting hit by bus, or anything else life-threatening.

But, that's not to say that parts haven't been difficult.

A couple days ago I started to feel a bit homesick. I hate being torn between two places. It is such a strange feeling. Knowing that you're only going to be somewhere for a few months is strange. It's like when you go through a breakup: for a time, the other person is the most important person in your life, then after a breakup, they're barely a part of it. Being in a place for a small time feels like being in a relationship that you know is not going to last.

I've also started to feel a bit caged....mainly when I'm at the Perrows' house in Medellín. I've heard so much cautionary advice that I'm a bit afraid to go out...plus, I've never hailed a taxi or been in the city without someone who lives here. I also don't have a vehicle (first time without one since I was 16), so I'm having to rely on others for transportation, which is a humbling experience. There have been a few rough days because of the 'feeling caged' thing. Fortunately, I'm about to head out into the city with Paul to explore a bit...hopefully, I can gain some independence in getting around and using public transportation.

Another contributing factor has been my lack of discipline in spending time with God, which is ironic considering the nature of the trip. This is usually at the heart of whatever problem I'm having, but like the Israelites, I seem to forget pretty often. I think I'm on the upswing in this area though.

That being said, there are some amazing people that I've gotten to know, which has made my time here so far really great.

Changing subject....

Culturally, there are many differences here in Colombia. But I haven't really experienced much culture shock because there are so many ways that it is similar. An example of this happened last night. Bill Perrow, his son Michael, Paul, and I went to Éxito, which is like a Safeway or a small WalMart. Most of us who have lived in a town with a Walmart as a kid have stories of ridiculous things we've done in WalMart. Well, last night at Éxito, Michael pushed Paul around in store wheelchair with a riculous cart-thing attached to the front the whole time we were there. And I couldn't help thinking that this is just like other stupid things we do at Walmarts back in the States.

Another thing I want to mention is about posting pictures on here. Legally, I am not allowed to post full-face pictures of kids in the program online....which is part of the reason that I don't have any pictures of the kids up. (Also, because I am pretty lazy when it comes to taking pictures). Hopefully, I'll be able to take some creative photos of the kids (such as all of us covering part of our faces with our hands) that I can put on here. The main reason for all this is to protect identities....which I don't think would be a problem on this blog, but it is probably best to just follow the rules.

Finally, I would like to let Darren Webb and Dustin Marks know that I have now heard Days of Elijah (Los Días de Elías) in two languages.

4 comments:

  1. I really like the song Days of Elijah! It was a good Church of Christ staple. I miss singing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet that song made more sense in Spanish than it does in English.

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha, every time I think of that song I think of it starting with someone shaking Maracas, thanks to David Muenich

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I learned Dias de Elias, I didn't know it existed in English. I like it better in Spanish.

    ReplyDelete

Carpe diem. Seize the day. Aprovecha el día.

Go big or go home.